Assistant Instructor Class
SSI Assistant Instructor (AI) - This is our initial dive leadership level.
In 1978, SSI introduced the original Dive Control Specialist course with an ambitious goal: to combine assistant instructor and divemaster training. At that time, those were the two main courses offered, and SSI felt that both were important to the development of a good dive leader and instructor candidate.
In 2017, SSI renamed the certification to Assistant Instructor (AI) to be more in line with nomenclature used by other training agencies.
Devoted divers who are motivated to pass along their love of recreational scuba diving to others will find the Assistant Instructor course a challenging but satisfying experience that will add a new, rewarding dimension to the sport. Much as the Open Water Diver course opened the door to scuba, the AI course will open the door to leadership, which allows the AI to enjoy diving on an entirely different level and to earn the respect of other divers. Also, the advanced education provides the AI with a deeper understanding of all aspects of diving.
The training also makes excellent background for the SSI Instructor Training Course (ITC), should the AI decide to proceed to the next level.
As a certified SSI Assistant Instructor (AI) you can:
- Work on Dive Boats, in Facilities, and Resorts
- Take people diving, lead trips and tours
- Assist SSI Instructors in the pool and open water
- Teach skills in the pool under the supervision of an instructor
- Teach independently Scuba Skills Update, Snorkeling, Try Scuba Diving and selected SSI Specialty Courses like Equipment Techniques, Boat Diving, Photography & Digital Underwater Photography and Shark Diver. With additional training an AI can also become a SCUBA RANGERS Instructor